Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Our Littlest Reader

Since we've been able to get settled into our new home and back into the swing of homeschool, Sarah Claire has been really making huge strides with her reading. It is so much fun to see the new world of words opening up to her as she learns to make sense of them all. She breezed through her kindergarten readers in a matter of weeks (the photo below was her finishing the last one of those), so we've moved on to the first grade set.
I set up a little incentive program for her as she read through the first grade book. For a while, we were having serious drama every morning at breakfast as she lamented the fact that she had a Winnie the Pooh bowl to eat her cereal from. She calmly and rationally explained, frequently through tears, that Winnie the Pooh is not her favorite Winnie the Pooh character, but Piglet is her favorite because he is pink!

We don't have a Piglet bowl (and I'm not even sure there is such a thing!), so I finally told her that when she completed the entire I Can Read It book, she could go to the store with me and pick out a new breakfast bowl to eat from.
She read several stories each day, excitedly marking them off on her chart, as she counted down to "New Bowl Day." And today she finished the book!
She and I made a special trip to the store, where we didn't find a Piglet bowl (surprise, surprise), but we did find a lovely pink princess bowl that even came with its own spoon. She loves it!
So she brought it home and took it for a little test run.
I'm so proud of my little reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment