Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Little Helpers

These kiddos have been really sweet about their mom being so sick this week. Sawyer has told me several times a day that he's sorry I'm sick and hopes I get better soon. Lee Anna has been extra helpful and cooperative. And Sarah Claire keeps running up to me to ask, "You better?"

Even with our excellent substitute filling in, it's been a slack school week so far. Today, Daddy had his own class to go to, so I was on my own with the kids, but I just wasn't quite up to it yet. Not only was I not up to doing school, I wasn't even up to staying awake! So I sat them down on the couch with a clipboard and a pencil, and gave them an assignment that I could sleep through. I put in our Disney Oceans DVD, and told them to write about or draw some of the things they saw in the movie. Then I went to my bedroom and crashed.
A while later, I came back out to check on them, expecting the movie to be over and their assignment to be forgotten. What I found, though, was the movie far from over, and this little girl hard at work. Lee Anna told me it wasn't over yet because she kept pausing it so that she could draw all the different animals without missing any. She didn't just draw one or two fish--she drew 27 different sea creatures AND labeled them AND even wrote comments about some of them.

Here's a closer shot of her paper:
I was quite proud.

And while Sawyer didn't go quite as crazy with the Oceans project (though he did draw a few pictures), he found his own way to be helpful this morning. This is what I found when I had finally gotten up and left the bedroom for a few minutes. 
He snuck in and made my bed (in his own special way) and left this sweet note:
Isn't that precious? I'm so grateful for my precious kiddos. I'm also thrilled to report that I'm feeling much better, and school should be back on track in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment